Saturday, August 4, 2012

Ladies and Gentlemen

For anyone who doesn't know, I have my own wedding planning business.  After years of working in hospitality and doing weddings for hotels/resorts, I broke out on my own last spring.  It was so scary at that time, as I had always been the main breadwinner in the family and now we were going to have to figure out a way for me to go without a regular paycheck.  Chris stepped up and is now working full-time, while I continue to build this little business of mine.

One of the things I looked forward to was working for myself and not having to deal with some of the nasty people I encountered.  Brides were, for the most part, really nice to me but every so often I would have a "persnickety" one.  I was always able to let that roll off my back, knowing that she was probably going through a lot of stress during the planning so they never bothered me.

The ones that drove me over the edge were my co-workers.  It was a VIPER PIT at my office.  Seriously, I can't imagine ever being such a miserable person that you take it out on everyone around you and get AWAY with that - that was the worst part!  At the resort I last worked, it was as if a culture of back-stabbing was no only permitted but ENCOURAGED!  I endured three years there and it was HELL, but I'm so glad I took that job because only a job that BAD would have FORCED me take the leap out on my own.

Fast-forward to yesterday when I had a wedding at a local restaurant.  I was thinking about how grateful I am not to have to deal with miserable people on a daily basis (and for 9+ hours a day, too!) but how I STILL encounter people who are so mean and nasty to me.  Why?  I just don't get it.  I understand that sometimes wedding planners come into a place and try to order people around, but right from the beginning I make it clear in ALL my dealings that I am only there to represent the bride and help both her, and the vendors, with whatever I can. 

I guess I am spoiled because I worked at the Ritz-Carlton for years and the motto there is, "We are Ladies and Gentlemen serving Ladies and Gentlemen."  At orientation, every new employee is indoctrinated with the motto and the meaning behind it:  ACT like a lady/gentleman and treat everyone you come in contact with as one, too.  That doesn't JUST mean the hotel guests, but also outside vendors and mostly the people you see every day, your co-workers.  I'm not saying it was the most perfect environment and no one ever fell short of this, but at least the company itself set the bar high for its employees.

Most of the local vendors here know me and they are very nice.  I'm happy to have this small-town area where I do deal with a lot of the same (nice) people for most of the weddings I do.  I guess I just want to know what the heck happened in society that people are allowed to treat others like doormats so much of the time.  It's a real shame.

No comments: