Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A Day at the Park

I'm so glad Chris is getting better about taking pictures during the day. It's so nice to come home from work and see what they've all been up to. Of course it would be nicer to actually be there to enjoy these experiences with them, but this is the next best thing. It's taken me a long time to accept the fact that I am always going to have to work full-time - this is NOT how I pictured my life at all! But you have to roll with the punches and do what you have to do to take care of the ones you love and it's no use fighting circumstances that are beyond my control. So instead, I choose to just cherish the time I do get to spend with the boys and realize there are some advantages to me being at work all day. Besides, in this economy I am truly thankful to have a job at all and need to appreciate all that we have.

When I was a kid, I went to a Catholic school and there was literally a set of monkey bars in an area with hard blacktop and that was it. When I was in first grade, a second grader - I even remember his name, Edwin Posadas - was walking across the top of the monkey bars and fell off. He almost lost his eye falling on that hard black top. They ended up taking the monkey bars out that summer and that was it for any playground equipment. I used to spend our recess walking around a tree and trying to step only on the roots that stuck out of the ground. Pathetic!

Anyway, Chris took the kids to the playground behind Owen's school today. This playground equipment is by far the best I've ever seen and we're so lucky the kids will all go to school here so they can enjoy it!




We've had such a gorgeous, mild summer and I sure hope it lasts while I'm on maternity leave. I only have 4 more weeks of work before I can pretend I'm a stay-at-home mom for a while. For anyone out there who has the priviledge of staying home with their kids, I realize it's the hardest job in the world but it's got to also be the most rewarding! I envy you and hope you appreciate how very lucky you are!

3 comments:

Michele R said...

I second your sentiments in this post! I have actually been laid off from work two different summers from two different jobs in the past. We did belong to a pool and went there every day. The boys loved me being home, but it was extremely stressful not being able to pay all our bills and looking for a job. So my only stints staying at home (other than maternity leave) have had that stress. AND WAIT TILL MIDDLE SCHOOL HOMEWORK. I have always suspected and now I know that they boys need supervision at ages 11 and up more than ever!
Anyway, I used to spill blood for my jobs (putting in lots of hours and used to enjoy it) and now it is just a paycheck and I treasure every minute I walk back in my door.
Love the photos and yeah to hubs for taking some. I am sure you'll take a ton during your maternity leave!!! Are you working up to due date? It will be fantastic weather for you and the new baby and you can watch the boys play at the park and cradle your little one (sigh).

Breadwinner Wife said...

Thanks for the encouragement on my blog! Wow, three boys and one more coming! I doubt there's ever a dull moment! ;)

Unknown said...

I did get the Bumbo seat just for Landen! I've heard great things about it from friends! When the other boys were babies it wasn't out....they keep coming out with new fun stuff! Two out of the four kiddos went back to school today ~ I'm going to be working on a schedule!! Wish me luck...we've been in summer mode. I bet you are ready to meet baby boy #4.
Hang in there!!!