Friday, April 8, 2011

The Secret to a Lasting Marriage

Happy Almost-Weekend! I have tomorrow off and it's supposed to be sunny and almost 60, so I'm really looking forward to spending the day with my boys. I have to work on Sunday, but it will be more bearable because it's going to rain.

Last night I got news that a couple that's a friend-of-a-friend are divorcing. I knew them in passing and they seemed like they had an ideal life together - a perfect match. They'd been married around 10 years and together for several years before that, so of course it was very surprising to hear they were splitting after so much time.

I'm not sure of the reason(s) and even less sure I'd like to go into them here, but this news made me think about how Chris and I are able to make our marriage work. I came to the realization that the credit goes 100% to ME.**

**If you don't understand or appreciate sarcasm, please stop reading NOW.

There are three personality traits I possess that have made me an ideal mate IF you want to stick with someone for the long haul. (And that's how marriage feels sometimes, doesn't it? Like a LONG HAUL!)

1. Stubborness. Yes, I am stubborn. I can't ever admit when I'm wrong about something, so there's NO WAY I would EVER admit to having married the wrong person. Imagine ME being WRONG about this most important decision!!! NO WAY!!!

2. Pridefulness. There's not a snowball's chance in hell I can allow myself to fail at something I really put an effort into. I would be crawl-in-a-hole-and-die embarrassed!

3. Competitive Drive. I would never be able to accept the fact that other people are able to make a marriage work but I can't. So I just keep hammering away at it and hopefully we will both live to be 147 so that we can have the longest marriage on record.

Now, I am NOT saying these qualities make me an ideal wife - FAR FROM IT! In fact based on these personality traits, Chris probably deserves more credit for the marriage lasting because he has to put up with me! BUT, I do know there are lots of people out there who think marriage is supposed to be easy and enjoyable all. the. time. and that's just not reality. So when it gets tough, it's these aforementioned traits that keep me going. Marriage is a choice not just on your wedding day, but EVERY day after that. I wish more of my happy brides at work realized that.

Hope you all have a great Friday!

No comments: