Tuesday, September 17, 2013

New shoes and taking time to play

We had to go shopping for shoes the other day.  Sammy TEARS through his.  I have shoes that can go from Owen to William to Luke and still be in better shape than a pair that Sammy wears for just one season.  I don't know what it is with him!
 
I'm so thankful my kids don't (yet?) throw a fit when only one or two of them get some new article of clothing.  They would ABSOLUTELY throw a fit if just one of them got a toy, but clothes and shoes are irrelevant in their little worlds. 
 
I broke down and bought these gems for Luke...an early birthday present:
 


He has ALWAYS loved Superman and with the movie that came out this summer, there is a lot of merchandise out there to choose from.  He loves the light-up feature, something he's never had before.  The morning after I bought them, I found him watching TV in the morning on the couch wearing these shoes with his PJ's.  So cute!

As I go to bed tonight, I am feeling a real sense of accomplishment around today.  It was a decent day of school and I got a few things done work-wise, but it was the hour of dedicated playtime I spent with Luke that has changed my perspective on today.

I had about 1/2 hour before dinner while the older three played on the trampoline and then another 1/2 hour after we ate when they ran back outside.  We played "guys," made towers with the extra large Legos he's been enjoying lately and read some wonderful library books we got yesterday.  Every so often while we were in the midst of playing, Luke would stop whatever he was doing and throw himself on me with a hug and a kiss; I could tell he was THRILLED to have me all to himself for a change.
It's so hard to believe that he will be four in just a few days.  This poem is posted on my refrigerator to remind me to sit down on the floor and just ENJOY him every so often - all of them, really. 

My hands were busy through the day
I didn't have much time to play
The little games you asked me to.
I didn't have much time for you.
 
I'd wash your clothes, I'd sew and cook,
But when you'd bring your picture book
And ask me, please, to share your fun,
I'd say, "A little later, son."
 
I'd tuck you in all safe at night
And hear your prayers, turn out the light,
Then tiptoe softly to the door.
I wish I'd stayed a minute more.
 
For life is short and years rush past,
A little boy grows up so fast.
No longer is he at your side,
His precious secrets to confide.
 
The picture books are put away,
There are no children's games to play,
No goodnight kiss, no prayers to hear,
That all belongs to yesteryear.
 
My hands once busy, now lie still.
The days are long and hard to fill.
I wish I might go back and do
The little things you asked me to.
 
-Alice E. Chase

No comments: