Thursday, March 5, 2009

Heart Attack!

I had my first appointment with my midwife this morning. She is not the same one that delivered William at home; she delivers in the hospital where Chris works.
Anyway, she had a student with her (older lady) who is learning to be a midwife and the two of them went through my medical history and just basically got to know me and how I wanted everything to go. Finally, we got to the part I was looking forward to which was hearing the baby’s heartbeat. Especially after my recent car accident, I was really feeling like I needed to be reassured that everything was ok.
So I laid back on the table and bared my tummy so they could put the goop on and run the machine. The midwife immediately asked “How far along are you? You’re measuring REALLY big – have you measured big before?” She had a HUGE smile on her face and the student lady also got very excited when she felt how high up my uterus is. The midwife said “You do know what we’re thinking, don’t you?” I started sweating and freaking out right away! She ran the Doppler to hear the heartbeat but was unable to hear anything so she ran to the back to see if the ultrasound room was open. Thankfully it was...
It was a long walk back there, thinking about how on earth would we fit TWO more kids into our house! We would clearly have to adopt William out. (any takers?) She set me up for the ultrasound and found that there is, in fact, only one baby in there. WHEW! I swear, it was the most nervous/excited I have EVER been in my life! Anyway, that’s my heart attack for the day.
We got to see the baby kicking around and moving, so all is well. He/she is already looking really cute. We are so excited!

Oh, and we got a car last night. It’s a 2005 Honda Pilot and we LOVE it! It has seating for eight, so will fit all the kids even if we do end up having twins next time! (just kidding!)

No comments: