Saturday, December 7, 2013

Friendship

When I think back on my 41 years on this earth, I feel blessed for many reasons not the least of which is the number of quality friendships I've made.  Yes, some friends have drifted out of my life but that's ok, because I feel richer for knowing them in the time that I did.
 
There are some friendships, however, that will stand the test of time.  These are the friends that I could not talk to for years and we'd still pick up right where we left off.  I was fortunate to have gotten to see some of those friends while in Michigan last week. 
 
 
This is Erin...
 
 
Erin and I met when we shared an office at the Ritz-Carlton in 2004.  I had another officemate before Erin (more on her later) that was SO FUN and I think our boss split us up because all she ever heard coming from that office was uproarious laughter.  So when she announced that Erin would be moving in, I was disappointed.  It's not that I didn't like Erin, but she was so boring and I told her that.  She agreed!  Oh, how I love someone who doesn't take themself too seriously!
 
At the time, I was a new mom (Owen was about a year old) and expecting Sammy.  Erin was single and on Match.com.  (Quite a few funny stories came out of that adventure - more uproarious laughter in our office, much to our boss's chagrin!)  Erin and I became really good friends. 
 
 Despite our differences in age, lifestyle, political views and just about everything else, we found common ground.  Erin loves to read and is my go-to person to recommend fantastic books. She is anti-clutter and loves organization - both things I aspire to!  And since she's become a mom (Noelle is almost 4, Paul is 18 months and she's got another due next month!) we have even more to share every time we talk, which is at least once a week.  
 
The last time I saw Erin was 4 years ago at her baby shower.  Since we both left the Ritz-Carlton in June of 2006, Erin lived in Chicago, California and Atlanta. She moved back to Michigan to be near family last March so I am looking forward to seeing more of her whenever I make it home. 
 

This is Marie....oh, is she TROUBLE!!!

 
I also met Marie at the Ritz-Carlton.  She was my first officemate when I joined the Events Team.  I have often said, it's a good thing we didn't meet when I was still single because we would have been CRAZY together!  I met her just a few months before I met Erin, so I was a boring married lady with a kid.  Marie was a single girl with an active social life.  She was the most fun person I think I'd ever met!  We bonded right away - it was like I got to spend time with myself, only 5 years before when I was young and fun!  Our office was THE place to hang out and that's another reason our boss had to split us up.  (I never did like that boss!) 
 
Marie got married a couple of years ago and is now expecting her first baby, due at the end of March.  I haven't seen Marie in about 5 years but I got to have lunch with her in downtown Detroit, where she works.  We talked for a long time, but not nearly long enough.  Hopefully I will get to see her and the new little one when I go back to Michigan this summer.
 
This is Mary....


I tear up when I think about Mary.  She will probably never know how much her friendship has meant to me over the years.  We met during our junior year of high school but really became close the following year, when her best friend got into a serious relationship with a guy she eventually married.  Mary was looking for someone to share in her single-girl adventures and I'm so glad she picked ME!
 
We were inseparable for quite a few years and the times we had were some of the best of my life.  Oh, to be 23 again!!!  Unfortunately, we had a falling out over something (I don't remember what) and lost touch for a few years.  Then, came the bun aisle....
 
I was pregnant with Owen and picking up hamburger buns at the local Kroger when I heard a familiar voice say, "VanLoozi?"  (Yes, that's what they used to call me in HS)  It was destiny!  The friendship that had lain dormant for so many years came right back into full bloom and has never left us.  Mary is my very best friend and will be till the day I die. 
 
She is a busy lady:  her job has her traveling all over the world, she takes care of her ailing mother and has a husband to squeeze in time with.  But she made time for me when I was in Michigan and has actually visited me out here in Wisconsin twice, which is wonderful.  I dream of days when the kids are a little older that I might be able to sneak away to spend a weekend in Chicago with Mary and we can talk and laugh for longer than just a few hours.  For now, though, I'll take what I can get.
 
I was raised to believe that friends come and go and that family is all that really matters, but I've found that's not true.  True friends stick with you through all the changes life brings and support you when times are tough.  I've been so lucky to have a few friends like that.  They are my family.

No comments: