Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Books

Just when I think these kids do nothing constructive with their free time,
I come home to something that absolutely astounds me.
 
I left for a work appointment today and came home just as Chris was leaving for work.  He told me I just had to see what the kids were doing while he was in the shower. 
 
Sammy and William collaborated on a pamphlet to get more neighborhood kids to join "The Cuddles," the gang they created for their younger brothers.  Owen and Sammy formed their own gang, "The Cardinals," some time ago with their friends,
and the little boys wanted a group of their own.
 


In case you can't read, it says: 
The Cuddles are a group of neighborhood kids (3-6)  designed by The Cardinals (7-12).  They are looking for new members to join and for back-ups (if not full time.)  We/they understand if the answer is no.  If your child needs a friend they are the best and if the answer is yes, then go to ...  (listed our address and phone number, but got the phone number wrong).

 
They added coloring and activity pages at the back of the pamphlet
for prospective Cuddles to work on.



Owen, who literally SOBS whenever I ask him to write anything - ANYTHING! - wrote a book.  Ok, so it's not War and Peace, but it is a FULL PAGE!  I almost cried when I read this story about his cat, entitled "Bobby's Big Adventure."


He gave credit on the cover to Luke, who actually came up with the idea.  Several months ago the cat got out before bed and was out all night.  I woke up at 4am to him clawing up the screen in my bedroom window.  Since then, the cat still tries to get out but doesn't run away and comes right back in by himself after a minute or two.  The last line of the story reads:  "And so Bobby learned a very important lesson that night:  you may want something really badly, but once you get it, it may not be as good as what you have right now."


It's very long and probably difficult to read the words in this little picture, but I almost had a heart attack when I saw how MUCH he wrote.  And the fact that this was all for his pure enjoyment is unbelievable to me.  He told me the key to him writing the book is that we borrowed a stapler this morning from our neighbor (to do the lapbooks.)  "If we had a stapler, I would write books all the time!"  Not sure if I believe that, but it's certainly worth me purchasing one!

No comments: